The Nurse Practitioner provides primary level of care in collaboration with physicians and other members of the health care team to a specific patient population in the outpatient and/or the inpatient setting. The Nurse Practitioner maintains an advanced knowledge base and skills in health promotion and maintenance, disease prevention, physical and psychosocial assessment, and management of health and illness in the health care of individuals.
• Collects and assesses initial and on-going data about the health status of the patient.
• Initiates and/or revises an individualized plan of care that includes immediate and long-term outcomes for the patient/family and reflects the plan of the entire health care team.
• Carries out interventions safely and in compliance with policy to facilitate achievement of expected outcomes.
• Evaluates patient response to intervention/therapy based upon expected outcomes.
• Provides patient education by explaining procedures, medications and giving instructions at a level the patient can understand; addresses patient’s questions and concerns; verifies patient informed consent when indicated.
• Documents and communicates all required components of patient care.
HIPAA: This position will have access to the following Protected Health Information in order to carry out the duties related to their position at Hays Medical Center based on the following criteria:
Primary – required (routine) to do the job;
Secondary – required for the job, but mostly be exception; and
None – no approved access
Description of Information
|Patient Demographic Information (information used to identify a person): Name, Date of Birth, Address, Race, Marital Status, Religion||Primary|
|Financial Information/Insurance (information related to insurance, billing and payment): Billing Information, Payer Name, Payer ID, Account Balances, Plan Elements Covered, Payment Information, Payment Rates||Secondary|
|Clinical Information (information that describes a patient’s health status): Diagnosis, Reports/Medical Notes, Test Results, Problem List, Procedures, History and Physical||Primary|
|Coding Information (clinical information that is in (alpha) numeric format): ICD-9 Codes, Rev Codes, CPT Codes||Primary|
Education/Experience: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing, Masters of Science in nursing (MSN) required; three to five years of ER experience preferred.
Certificates and Licenses: Current Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) licensure in the State of Kansas or has work permit from the State Board of Nursing; BLS, PALS, ACLS certifications required or must complete with in the first month of employment; ATLS certification must be complete as class availability allows preferred within six months of employment.